Child Support


Child Support attorneysIn cases involving unmarried mothers seeking child support, the first step may be the legally establish the father’s “paternity” of the child. The father can do this voluntarily, but if he does not the mother may need to bring a lawsuit to establish paternity, which is usually done using genetic (DNA) testing. The court will order the “putative” (or alleged) father to submit to the testing if he does not agree to do so voluntarily. Once paternity is established, the court will issue a child support order in a manner similar to that in a divorce situation.


Reference: Find Law, Child Support


Kindly visit our Family Law and Child Support websites or contact one of our Family Law Attorneys, Philadelphia or Child Support Attorneys, Philadelphia at 215-977-8200 for more information on this topic.